Android Software Engineer (Hayward, CA)
About Dash Robotics
Want to be employee #8?
Dash Robotics is a small team committed to revolutionizing creativity and play for the mobile age by developing high quality, accessible connected toys. Dash has delivered thousands of our unique robots to rave reviews. Now we’re working with the best partners in the industry to bring robotics to every toy segment, from dolls to dinosaurs, for boys and for girls.
We have a small, passionate team with great investors and great partners. We’re building products that bring happiness to kids around the world. Sound interesting? If so, read on.
About the Job
We’re building the backbone of connected toy tech at Dash Robotics, and Android is a vital part of that. You will join Dash’s software engineering team as our first full-time Android developer. You will focus on expanding the capabilities of our existing Kamigami Android app and helping us create a connected toy framework to serve as the backbone of future products. You don’t need to have had experience with connected devices and Bluetooth LE, but you’ll need to learn quickly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build Android apps for connected toys.
- Help build a reusable, cross-platform framework for developing new software and new connected toys.
- Translate designs and wireframes into high quality code.
- Design, build, and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable Java code.
Requirements and Skills
- Have led the development of (or solo developed) at least one Android app that has shipped.
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes.
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect Android applications to backend services.
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices.
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning.
- Familiarity with cloud message APIs and push notifications.
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks.
- Great programming skills; ability to produce quality code that is maintainable, efficient, reliable, and secure.
- Strong communication skills, in both engineering and non-engineering contexts.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with connected hardware or Bluetooth LE, especially on Android.
- Experience with cross-platform development tools.
- Experience with 2D or 3D game development.
- Web development experience (backend or frontend)
- Lots of enthusiasm for robots, connected toys, or education.
- Be on the ground floor of a venture-funded startup, making major contributions to the development of new technology and products.
- Own equity in the company. Every employee is a stakeholder in our future.
- Work with a great team of people who love what they do.
- Team lunches and company-wide events and outings.
- Hiking trails, running trails, and a kayak launch out our backdoor.
- On-site gym and shower access.
- Free, easy parking.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this role, please provide a very brief cover letter and a resume to email@example.com.
Dash Robotics is an equal opportunity employer.